Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Woman from College

Amherst is chilly; we shiver and sneeze:
Behold, a poet on his knees!

It's 1990. I am twenty-one.
I drink large draughts of wine to the lees.

You like Public Enemy, I like the Cocteau Twins.
I cherish your voice, a soothing breeze.

You are springtime in December, gentle warmth
Giving life to the shyest leaves of trees.

You are my solace in the midst of woe;
You are healing for all my injuries.

I love you in your fierce disconsolacy,
In the righteous wrath that I cannot appease.

Tom o' Bedlam worships you secretly--
With your jet-black hair and torn dungarees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Without You

Without you, life's a hole without a sock, A fruitless rind, some coffee-grounds (no brew): Sarcastic stars can only jeer and mock. ...