Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

This Bird Has Flown

J'ay perdu ma tourterelle.
Est-ce point elle que j'oy?
Je veux aller après elle.
Jean Passerat, 1606



I have lost my soul's delight,
Sweet songbird, dark nightingale:
I would follow her in flight.

She has flown into the night.
Still I search, to no avail.
I have lost my soul's delight.

O true beauty benedight!
Without her, my strength grows frail.
I would follow her in flight.

Now I see the cold sad sight
Of stars above me, and I wail:
I have lost my soul's delight.

Sleepless till the dawn's faint light
Slowly turns the sky quite pale,
I would follow her in flight.

Heaven's splendour, once so bright,
Now appears wretched and stale.
I have lost my soul's delight;
I would follow her in flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Silverware Drawer After Dark

The steak knives are playing the Ramones at full blast. The salad forks are dancing with the teaspoons to the tune of "Come On, Ei...