Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Awake at Four

I sit, drink coffee, greet the rising sun,
Compel myself to venture poetry,
And write my hymns of praise to Arlington.

Awake at four? I'm not the only one.
Insomniacs adore the bright TV.
I sit, drink coffee, greet the rising sun.

I can't wait till the heat of summer's done.
I need a room chilled by a strong AC.
I write my hymns of praise to Arlington.

I sing songs from the '80s, just for fun!
"The Safety Dance" and "Synchronicity" ...
I sit, drink coffee, greet the rising sun.

If I were slim, I'd try a morning run,
But sedentary at two seventy,
I write my hymns of praise to Arlington.

No "Bright Star" this, and no Endymion:
No Keatsian eloquence from the likes of me!
I sit, drink coffee, greet the rising sun,
And write my hymns of praise to Arlington.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discovering

Verses from the Tehillim,           a song      in a timeless tongue: try the language of the hymn ---     words come out half-wrong. ...