Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion daughter of mayhem, arise:
Saintly Magdalen, misprized gem, arise!

Above the law, above the teeming fray,
Above the voices that condemn: arise!

From dark alley, from city blight, behold,
These orient stars--your diadem! Arise,

Flee from censorious lips and groping clutches:
You're too dear for the likes of them. Arise!

Why should you knuckle under or pay heed
To the churlish critic's apothegm? Arise:

Bring the gift of your bruised and battered heart
To the bed of the Babe in Bethlehem. Arise!

Suffering soul, the dust whereon you tread,
Sings pride's farewell, wrath's requiem: arise.

Thomas, sing praise full-throated to this rose;
Bless every thorn upon her stem. Arise!

2 comments:

  1. I've been traveling, so I'm just catching up on my blog-reading. This is lovely! (And having only completed one ghazal, I find myself humbled by yours and eager to write another one of my own...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jeff! I am supremely gladdened by your very kind words.

    ReplyDelete

In the Silverware Drawer After Dark

The steak knives are playing the Ramones at full blast. The salad forks are dancing with the teaspoons to the tune of "Come On, Ei...