Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2014

1991

The first year of my post-collegiate life,
resiliency impaired but not dead yet:
the aftermath of being "asked to leave."

Worked as a guard in Brookline. Sought relief
in poetry. Devoured Auden's Complete
that first year of my post-collegiate life.

Boston Book Annex, now gone to its grave.
Judge Thomas. The Gulf War. I'd read and write.
Write about pains no medicine could relieve.

The BU Bookstore, Kenmore: poets' trove!
Ploughshares. Mudfish. Boulevard. Grand Street.
The first year of my post-collegiate life.

Confession (which I'd shunned since '85)
to an Oblate of the Virgin. In defeat,
I turned to the Church that I was rash to leave!

Dame Edith Sitwell's Atlantic Book of
British and American Verse. Scotch, neat.
The first year of my post-collegiate life.

New Seeds of Contemplation. Is God love?
Marsh Chapel Mass, late on a Sunday night.
(Quite late! Close to eleven when I'd leave.)

No more joking with Will or George or Dave.
No more long talks with Leah, heart's delight.
The first year of my post-collegiate life,
the aftermath of being "asked to leave."

Rascal's Litany

Dragonfly in the synagogue, ladybug in the chapel, mosquito in the ashram, grasshopper in the Zen garden, moth in the mosque, pray for ...