Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Centennial Ode

27 October 2014


If Dylan Thomas were still alive,
He'd cringe to see my jittery jive.
I do not aim to vex his ghost.
He is the poet I love most.

I love him more than bacon and eggs;
Yes, more than Tina Turner's legs.
I love him like the whiskey neat
That I knock back at Grafton Street.

I love his voice, brazen and sure,
More than the Smiths, more than the Cure.
I crave his rave -- like chocolate cake,
Like chunks of fudge. Make no mistake:

I love him more than pizza pie,
Than Branagh's Hamlet, or ham on rye.
This randy rhymer, roly-poly:
I love him more than ravioli!

My rising moon, my setting sun,
My bardic ocean, he's the one.
I think he's nifty, I think he's fine,
Forever young at thirty-nine.

Right now in a heavenly pub or joint,
He's laughing a laugh and lifting a pint
Or maybe he's thundering sonnets and psalms
To herons and pipers, to Wales in his arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Silverware Drawer After Dark

The steak knives are playing the Ramones at full blast. The salad forks are dancing with the teaspoons to the tune of "Come On, Ei...